My arms are empty and acheing...

I can’t believe I’m a mother without…

Life has been twisted and turned upside down. As a mother, I had both the wonderful privilege of holding my sweet son as I brought him into this world…and the horrible chore of holding him as he took his last breaths and left this world, at only 7 years old. June 24, 2010 he earned his angel wings, passing away after an inspiring but brief fight against Cystic Fibrosis. Now I live, solely focusing on living a life to get to be with him again in heaven, and to raise awareness for Cystic Fibrosis research. I am dedicated to a cure, not only for my sweet sons legacy but so that other CF families never experience the greatest loss of their lives that we are now facing. My mother’s arms are missing Connerman, yet he still inspires me daily to leave a mark of LOVE on this world…so for you my sweet prince, mommy will try!



Love Love Love

Always Always Always


Thursday, March 25, 2010

I hate cystic fibrosis more than spiders!

My 4 year old Hunter woke my husband up the other morning, dangeling a HUGE spider in his face. uh ya GOOD MORNING!!! Luckily it was dead...oh lord I would've needed to be rushed to the ER with severe panic attacks!!! Oooh how I hate spiders...but not as much as cf. they're both poison for sure, but at least we can just kill a spider or put it outdoors...theres no rest in cf. each day getting up, lining up the meds, having no idea how your child is going to feel that day, treat, therapy, sanitize, repeat...it is endless...
This was a clinic week for C-man and it was a very different day for me, for sure. I woke up a bit frazzeled...I've been trying to get Cayston for C since our last admit a few weeks ago...and nothing has come from it and Conner just ended IV's on Friday and here it was Tuesday and he was not one bit better. tied to his oxygen tank...so the day didn't start with much hope. But arriving at clinic was all different, normal routines, normal faces weren't there, or were different...everything seemed to be off a bit and lord knows i'd know we're there so often! :) The RN asked how conner was, and i told him no better...and thus the downward spiral began...Conner was on 2L of o2 and they started checking his sats, and asking the normal questions...but the tone of their voices were different. not in any way in particular, just subtly different.
Doc came in and listened to him and watched him breathe and said he'd need more IV's of course and asked if we wanted to stay or not...ha ha...funny one doc! we chose to go home of course...and just before he was ready to get up I remebered Cayston...I told him I wanted a script for it for Conner, and once again got the runaround. now keep in mind i've been getting the run around since the day it came out fda approved. The doc said they hadn't really discussed which patients would get it, and who wouldn't, etc...and then he looked at me and said "it's not a cure, nor is it a miracle drug sarah" bam...there it is....they think i don't know what i'm talking about apparently!!! Which is crazy because they know me...they personally asked me to be on their CF family council, to speak a lecture to med students about cf, knew i was constantly researching..and yet what the heck is that supposed to mean? i told him obviously i knew it wasn't a cure...or else i would've been up their ass even faster (c'mon WHO WOULDN'T!?) I just felt deflated. Like because they are doctors and i'm "only a mom" that I don't know whats best for my son...or what i'm talking about. give me a break. i'm not new to this disease. i just hung my head and said "well until there is that miracle drug i'd like to try cayston for my son because we've tried things that arent even in the hospitals drug formulary...and they didn't work...so i'm sure Cayston, being fda approved shouldn't be hard to get!" the tone of his voice was just kinda defeated. and agreed. it sounded almost like they've already written conner off, knowing he's dyeing, but giving up on him. doc left the room to get IV's dosed out for home health to deliver and i was just fighting back tears.
i wanted cayston for my son. but not in that manner. he wrote the script already feeling like it would do nothing for my son. it may not. i absolutely know that. but how hard is it to try? can't hurt anything to try! when we left clinic doc said "ok good luck" with this voice like he had little faith it would be ok.
that was the final straw for me.
barely made it to the car before i started crying. not just a tear or two...sobbing. i didn't care that Conner saw me upset. He asked what was wrong....and I simply said...I hate that your sick and mommy can't make you all better...and i just cried. a mixture of stress, frustration, worry and exhaustion.
for the first time i thought that my son wasn't going to make it. the docs didn't believe in him...how horrible of them! their job is to heal and if not heal at least help. and how does it help to make a mother feel helpless and worthless...invalued? tuesday was just a horrible day. horrible. how dare they try to rob me of my hope. hope is all I have...don't you dare try to take it from me.
there was so many CF families that I know and love at clinic that day around the same time and it just seemed everyone had a wierd clinic visit. there are so many cfers i know right now barely hanging on...to health, to hope, to patience, to trust...it's just been horrible with those i know with cf lately. So many waiting for lungs, waiting for cayston, waiting for docs to call them back with a plan while watching their kid suffer in pain...waiting. each waiting for their miracle.
so yes...i've decided that i hate cf with a passion...and tuesday was horrible...i just can't shake that negativity..still even 2 full days later. i know docs aren't God...I know they're frustrated as well that they can't help more...but lord don't take my hope away...thats all i have left...and i cant get out of bed without it...

4 comments:

  1. I have been following your blog for a good while now. I want you to know that I am praying for your family, not just for a cure, but for you to have strength to face each day. I am 27 years old and also have CF. I hate that the doctor was like that at clinic. I hate it when any doctor is like that. I sometimes wish doctors got paid by how well their patients were doing. It seems they might put more effort into keeping us well. Sorry clinic was hard. I hate it too. Never seems like I get good news there. I wish I had some great words to make you feel better, but I don't. Just know I am praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to kick some ass, Sarah. My mom has always said "Those doctors work for YOU." You got him what he needed! You are awesome.

    CF does suck. It takes people away from us far sooner than it ever should. Those doctors should believe in what they are doing and work with you and your little fella.

    Be peaceful and know that you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I'm enraged.

    If it were me, I would've torn that place apart. Like SWelch said...those Dr's; and nurses; and staff work for YOU. They get paid to treat your son, to work with you, to give you hope, to never loose faith in what they've worked so hard to achieve....the practice of modern medicine.

    Things for your son may be dim, but don't EVER let anyone believe that...even for one second. There's always hope. Until the day Conner is finally able to breathe easy, don't you ever let anyone give up hope that he will be just fine. Especially those Dr's.

    If they don't believe in their own damn medicines, then what the hell are they doing practicing medicine?

    Shame on them.

    You stay strong Sarah, and you fight. Fight so hard right now. Conner needs hope & he needs strength & comfort. You are doing your absolute best right now & it shows. It radiates from you. You are such an inspiration & I look up to you, and so do so many others.

    Don't let CF win. Keep hoping, stay strong.

    Love,
    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, never give up hope! The Dr. has no right taking that away from you. Hearing this just gets me so angry. I've felt like "just a Mom" many times, or at least that's how they made me feel. Not right!
    We are not here to make friends but to get THE best treatment for our kids no matter what it takes. We are here for you Sarah!! Praying for strength for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete


Did You Know....

There are over 100,000 people, the size of a small city, on the transplant list in the US.

There were less than 10,000 deceased organ donors in the US last year. (that's a ratio of 1 organ donor to every 10 transplant patients).

In the time it takes you to shower today, 1 new name is added to the US transplant waiting list.

From the time you woke up this morning to the time you wake up tomorrow morning, 18 people will die waiting for their transplant in the US.

click here to join the organ donation registry

BECOME AN ORGAN DONOR, SAVE A LIFE!